Spicy Lentil Burgers (Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot
- 1 TB avocado oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped thin
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup dry brown or green lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 TB tomato paste
- 1 TB tamari soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- Place the avocado oil, onion, garlic and carrots in the instant pot.
- Select the sauté setting on the instant pot and leave the lid off.
- Cook until fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and broth. Cover and lock down the lid.
- Select the bean option and pressure-cook at HIGH.
- (If this isn’t an option on your pot, cook beans for 15 minutes at high pressure).
- Once the cook time completes, allow the pressure cooker to release pressure naturally; about 10 minutes. Once all the pressure has released, remove the lid and taste the lentils.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; pepper, salt, cayenne, garlic, turmeric, paprika, mustard, tomato paste, tamari, rolled oats and chickpea flour.
- Then add the cooked ingredients (from the instant pot) into the large bowl and gently blend it together.
- While still warm, form the mixture into patties. Depending on size, it will make 8-12 burgers.
- Cook burgers on a medium high heat skillet with avocado oil for 2-4 minutes on each side.
- Put the burger on a plate of greens. Top it off with avocado, sriracha and ranch.
If you want a smoother texture, you can blend the oats until they’re fine.
You can experiment with different flours or try adding GF breadcrumbs. I do it each time I make these. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, just sauté the vegetables in a skillet, boil the lentils in a pot and combine them when done.