Almond & Lemon Amaretti Cookies
- 1 Mixer For the egg whites
- 2 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 Lemon zest 1 medium lemon
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 TB each coconut sugar & powder sugar for rolling cookies before baking
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Line 2 baking sheets with silpat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add the almond flour, sugar, pinch of salt, and lemon zest.
- Whisk well.
- In a mixer, beat the egg whites until a soft peak forms.
- Whisk in the almond extract.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the dry ingredients, just until the dough is moist.
- The dough will be thick and sticky.
- Cover the bowl and chill dough in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Mix 3 TB coconut and powdered sugar in a small bowl or plate.
- When the dough has chilled, remove from the fridge.
- Use a spoon to scoop the cookie dough and roll into small balls.
- Roll each cookie ball in the sugar mix.
- Place cookies on the baking sheets and press slightly on top (with a fork or finger).
- Put the baking sheets in the oven and bake for 25 minutes (until the cookies turn golden).
- Remove from the oven when done and cool completely on cooling racks.