- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, diced
- 8 oz tempeh, crumbled
- 1 chili pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pureed tomato sauce
- 15 oz can kidney beans, drained (or 1-1/2 cups cooked)
- 15 oz can pinto beans, drained (or 1-1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup green onions or scallions, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, cook for a few minutes.
- Add the tempeh. Cook until it begins to brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the pepper and cook until tender (5 minutes).
- Add the garlic. Continue cooking 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, along with 1/2 cup of water or more tomato sauce.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook chili 20-30 minutes.
- Add more water water as needed if the chili becomes too thick.
- Serve, sprinkled with green onions.