Fermented Sourdough Granola
- 2 baking sheet pans with parchment paper or silpat.
- 3 cups oats GF rolled oats
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 3/4 cups coconut oil divided 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup
- 3/4 cups raw honey divided 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup (or maple syrup)
- 1 1/2 cups sprouted seeds pumpkin, sunflower and watermelon seeds
- 1 ½ cups macadamia nuts
- 1 TB molasses
- 1 TB cinnamon
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- Combine rolled oats, sourdough starter, 1/2 cup coconut oil, and 1/2 cup honey in a bowl.
- Stir and blend all ingredients well.
- Press the mixture down into the bowl.
- Cover bowl with a towel and place in a warm spot.
- Allow mixture to ferment for up to 24 hours. *See note
- Preheat oven to 200F degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat.
- When the oats are done fermenting, break up the oat mixture with a large fork.
- Add the seeds, nuts, molasses, cinnamon, vanilla, sea salt, plus 1/4 cup of both coconut oil and honey.
- Mix all ingredients well to combine everything.
- Divide the granola dough between 2 baking pans and spread the mixture as thinly as possible.
- Place granola in the oven for 2+ hours.
- Keep an eye on it and rotate the pans half-way through.
- Remove pans from oven and break up the granola with a spoon.
- It will be soft so break up large clumps and spread it back out to continue baking evenly.
- *When it’s done, turn the oven off and leave the granola in the oven to continue drying out if you want.
- When done, remove pans from the oven and check the consistency of the granola.
- If it is dry and crisp, it is done cooking. If not, continue baking until done.
- Allow it to cool completely on the pans.
- Place cooled granola in a glass container for storage.