Leek, Murasaki & Red Potato Soup
- 3 TB Olive Oil
- 4 large leeks white and light green parts only, roughly chopped (about 5 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 pounds potatoes peeled and chopped into small pieces (I used Murasaki & Red potatoes)
- 7 cups veggie broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Chives finely chopped, for topping
- Pour the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Add the leeks and garlic and cook, stirring regularly, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, broth, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper to pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover and turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Take out the bay leaves.
- Purée the soup with a hand-held immersion blender until smooth.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Taste to see if it’s done to your liking. Add more broth, coconut milk or spices if desired.
Place thinly sliced leek greens in a hot skillet with avocado oil. Fry for a few minutes until crispy and done. Remove from oil and place on a paper towel or plate. Add to a hot bowl of soup and enjoy!